Sunday, April 18, 2010

Just some stories

After a week or so of extreme exhaustion, I seemed to have had somewhat of a breakthrough today. It was bizarre because I didn't get any more sleep than usual last night and my nap today was a fail (noisy neighbors + noisy dog + noisy kids = ugh). But somehow my body woke up around 6-o-clock this evening and I suddenly felt like conquering the world. So I put away two loads of laundry, washed two more, washed the dishes, and took a shower. Not a lot, I know, but for me it was an accomplishment.

Shiphrah actually took a nap today so she had endless energy all evening long. (Why is it that my 2 1/2 year old seems to need less sleep than I do??) She stayed up with me after I put Kirk to bed at 8:30 and was THRILLED to have some one-on-one time with Mama. Methinks I need to do that more often...she was extra-cheerful and talking my ear off about all sorts of random things. She's at such a cute age...she tells me "stories" that are just run-on sentences full of people's names and random things that happened recently. I wish I could get it on video, it's just too adorable! Anyway, I put her to bed around 10-o-clock, but I could hear her moving around in her room for another 45 minutes or so. Again I have to ask, why does my toddler seem to need less sleep than me?

Kirk is finally settling back into his happy-go-lucky self. He's still a Mama's boy and a bit clingy, but he's much easier to entertain and keep busy these days. I'm hoping all this rain we've been having is washing away all the oak pollen so the kids' allergies (and mine) will finally go away, but we've been able to do without the Zyrtec most days this week. It makes me laugh to see just how different two toddlers can be though. Shiphrah could sit in front of the TV and watch movies all day long if I'd let her (and trust me, she asks constantly) and she's been like that since she was a year old. In fact, at only 7 or 8 months old she would sit through a 30-minute baby video if I needed to keep her in one place. Kirk, on the other hand, will glance at the movie playing every once in a while, but for the most part he completely ignores the TV. He's much happier if I give him a bowl, a few cheerios, and a spoon to play with. In fact, those three things kept him busy for about two hours this evening! Usually he follows me around like my shadow, but if I can give him something new to play with, he'll actually leave me alone long enough for me to get some chores done. I'm going to rapidly run out of "new" things though.

Other than being exhausted most of the time, we had a nice weekend. Saturday morning we had made plans to meet up with Kym (XxFireXboltxX) and her family at the zoo, but the rain prevented that. Instead we met at Jim's for breakfast and hung out all morning. It was a lot of fun and Kym was just as nice as I'd hoped! Kirk and her little boy Andrew had a lot of fun sitting next to each other in high chairs and watching each other throw things on the floor. Shiphrah was a bit of a handful, but she's been a stinker lately anytime we go anywhere. Anyway, hopefully we'll try the zoo again sometime soon, but it was really neat to get to meet a fellow Xangan in real life!

Well, Avery will be home from work any minute so I'll wrap this up. 'Night, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment