Monday, July 27, 2009

Weddings and Babies

I should be doing something more productive than blogging. Sweeping the floor, picking up the house, scrapbooking, dusting, something on my to-do list. But I am just about to fall over from exhaustion, so this is the best I could do. Avery should be home within the hour, which is why I'm not crashed out in bed, and he so appreciates that I stay up to talk with him when he gets home. (Plus I despise being woken up from a deep sleep, which Kirk does at least twice a night anyway, so I'd rather not make that more frequent.)

Anyhoo, Kari's wedding was amazing. She looked gorgeous, everything went as well as any wedding should, and no one melted in the heat. :) Since I was in the wedding I don't have any pictures from the event, but here's the bride and I at her bachelorette party way up high in the Tower of Americas in downtown San Antonio.

And here's the whole bunch of us girls. Believe it or not (and most of the waitstaff at the restaurant didn't) all but one of us is over 21. In fact, 4 out of the 8 are married and 2 out of the remaining 4 are engaged. I point that out only because it seemed like every other person in the restaurant commented on how young we looked.


Hopefully I'll get some wedding pictures from someone soon because [according to my hubby] I looked freakin' gorgeous. :) Don't worry, I didn't overshadow the bride...she looked breathtaking. I can't tell you how excited I am that Kari and Topher finally got married...I nearly cried during the ceremony (and I never cry!).

The weekend was fun but I am horribly exhausted today. Maybe at some point I'll be able to catch up on sleep, but with the way Kirk is sleeping (i.e. not much) that might take a few weeks. And this weekend the kids and I are headed down to Leakey, Texas for an annual family camp we attend every year. Unfortunately Avery has to work, but my parents volunteered to help me with the kids so I'm attempting the trip on my own. Plus, I don't want to miss this year because for the first time in three years I won't be pregnant!!! Seriously, the past two years I was 5 months and 2 months pregnant (i.e. horrible morning sickness) and it was NOT a fun experience. In fact, every time I think about sitting in those cabins I start to feel nauseous. Hopefully that feeling will vanish once I get there and realize that I'm actually feeling fine! :)

Let's see, as far as babies go both munchkins are doing pretty well. Shiphrah seems to be in an endless cycle of teething...which also means an endless cycle of whinyness. Plus she caught a cold from the doctor's office last week (hate those germ-infested places!) so she was pretty miserable for a few days. I have to say though, I liked those 4-hour afternoon naps she took though. :) Oh, and can I reiterate how incredible breastmilk is? Ever since Kirk was born, I've been giving Shiphrah 4 ounces of breastmilk with 4 ounces of whole milk every morning. She has had zero diaper rashes and hasn't been sick a day (until this cold) since I started doing this. Anyway, usually she takes a long time to get over her colds...at least a week. Well, this time, 3 days. Seriously, all she had left was the tiniest runny nose 3 days after she caught the cold! So, all you nursing mamas out there, I highly recommend pumping a little extra milk for your older toddlers...it's totally worth it!

Kirk is, well, Kirk. He's still an incredibly happy and content baby, as long as someone is paying attention to him (which makes Shiphrah a lifesaver most days). He's still not sleeping through the night and unfortunately seems to have abandoned all desires of sleeping a longer stretch at night too. (He may just be going through a growth spurt though...I seem to remember Shiphrah going through one at this age.) I haven't really started him on baby food yet, just cereal about once a week for the past three weeks. He doesn't like it much, so I'm not pushing the issue. The cereal hasn't seemed to help him sleep better at night (all 3 times I've fed him about an hour before bed) so there's really no reason to force it on him. If he still doesn't like it when he's 6 months old I'll start him on the other foods (peas, carrots and such). I attribute part of my milk supply issues with Shiphrah to starting her too early on baby foods, so I'm being extra cautious this time. Our doctor encouraged me to try foods with him now to make sure he didn't develop an "opinion" about them, but I'm not too worried about that. For centuries women exclusively breastfed their kids until they were one or so and I don't think their babies refused real food. So again, not a concern for me. We'll take it all one day at a time. One thing I do know though, I will breastfeed Kirk as long as I possibly can. It's my only form of birth control. :)

Well, I just heard from Avery and he's getting off late tonight. Darn. Looks like I should have gone to bed early after all. Oh well, I'll try to find something else to keep me awake for another half hour or so. 'Night, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment